WELCOME TO ESTON'S NEWS PAGE
Eston Square and Cenotaph with the backdrop of the Eston Hills
that you may have missed
REDCAR & CLEVELAND ELECTIONS - IN THE TEESVILLE AND ESTON WARD MAY 2015.
THE DESELECTED LABOUR COUNCILLORS ALL LOST THEIR SEATS IN THE MAY 2015, INCLUDING THE PREVIOUS LABOUR LEADER, DEPUTY LEADER, AND 3 CABINET MEMBERS ALL FROM THE ESTON AND TEESVILLE WARDS. AFTER A DECISION BY THE LABOUR PARTY TO RENEW THE PARTY IN REDCAR & CLEVELAND.
THE PEOPLE OF ESTON AND TEESVILLE VOTED 3 NEW LABOUR COUNCILLORS IN THE TEESVILLE WARD AND 2 LABOUR AND ONE INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR FOR THE ESTON WARD.
(4 YEARS AGO IN THE 2011 ELECTION THE PEOPLE OF TEESVILLE AND ESTON WARDS HAD VOTED ON 3 LABOUR IN EACH OF THE WARDS).
ESTON RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION HAVE HAD TO PUT WITH YEARS OF HARRASSMENT AND BULLYING FROM THE PREVIOUS LABOUR ADMINISTRATION FROM THESE 2 WARDS. AS FULLY DETAILED ON THIS WEBSITE AND OVER THE YEARS IN THE ESTON PHOENIX. THIS ADMINISTRATION HAS NOW GONE, DESELECTED BY THE LABOUR PARTY AND ALSO BY THE RESIDENTS OF ESTON AND TEESVILLE WARDS AT THE BALLOT BOX IN MAY THIS YEAR.
HOPE FOR A NEW WAY FORWARD FOR ESTON AND THIS AREA,
NO MORE FIGHTING FOR ERA AGAINST THE PAST NEGATIVITY AND HARRASSMENT WE HAVE SUFFERED OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS. WE WANT TO WORK WITH THE COUNCILLORS THAT THE PEOPLE OF ESTON AND TEESVILLE HAVE ELECTED TO REPRESENT THEM. THE ELECTIONS ARE OVER, WORKING TOGETHER IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD.
STATEMENT TO THE PEOPLE OF ESTON FROM OUR CHAIR AND INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR ANN HIGGINS
I WOULD LIKE ASSURE ALL THE PEOPLE OF ESTON THAT I AM STILL TOTALLY INDEPENDENT, I HAVE NOT JOINED LABOUR OR THE COALITION. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU ALL- DO YOU WANT ME TO BE A COUNCILLOR WHO WILL STAND HER GROUND FOR YOU, FIGHT FOR AND AT TIMES HAVE TO MAKE VERY DIFFICULT DECISIONS THAT MAY AT THE TIME NOT BE POPULAR TO SOME BUT HAVE THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE ESTON WARD AT HEART? WHICH IS PART OF WHAT HAPPENED AT THE COUNCIL.
TIRED OF FIGHTING TIME TO MOVE ON:
The people who caused all the problems and issues for both ERA and the residents of Eston have gone. (The old guard of Labour) It is you the people who voted for Labour in all of this area in May apart from myself. The only way forward is for councillors in their wards to work together, or would you rather we just carried on the bad feelings from the previous administration. To get the best we can for the people of Eston and Teesville, we need to move on and all work together. The new Labour administration talked to me of their wanting a new way forward for all the borough, with lots of new councillors elected, with NO baggage. Everybody deserves a chance, I have not gone over to Labour as stated or inferred by the comments from the Conservative and Liberal Leaders. I am still Independent and just want to do the best I can for Eston, its people and the borough.
I am tired of all the infighting and bullying that has been aimed at myself and also ERA over the years and so should the people of Eston. Respect has to earned. I cannot in all sincerity have full confidence in this coalition given their actions over the years regarding this area.
Please remember, I was on this council from 2003-7 for 2 years in the coalition with these people also. What you should know is:
1. They took our Eston Manifesto on board in 2003 with theirs which included not building the Trunk Road and Tesco, and to regeneration our own centres, Eston, Normanby etc. Once they had all got their cabinet seats ,(and most of them are still there who were apparently wanting the cabinet seats at the AGM and to take over the council on thursday). They informed at that time Councillor Vincent Smith and myself that they had changed their minds, and were going ahead with the Trunk Road and Tesco, Our own Independent Group leader at the time, an East Cleveland Councillor, who also is in this present coalition, told us that he thought the Trunk Road Development would have a"deterimental effect on Eston Centre" but was still going to vote for it with the coalition cabinet.
2. They also supported and carried on with the previous Labour leaders proposed plans, in getting rid of the Town Hall and Finigan's Hall. Which we opposed. One of the Coalition Cabinet members stating in a full meeting to both Cllr. Vincent Smith and myself, "how can you have a Town Hall in an area like this" It was also stated, nothing much last in an area like this! Which we were disgusted with and left the meeting. (Vincent Smith can verify all of this).
3. As you may all know I was the deputy Mayor from 2004-5 and in 2005 was to be inaugurated as the Mayor of Redcar & Cleveland. 10 days before my inauguration, This same coalition and cabinet (apart from a few councillors newly elected) Held a "secret" meeting at East Cleveland were they decided to "dump" me as the Mayor, we were too controversial for them, in that we would not just toe their "coalition" party line. They didn't even have the decency to call me in and tell me. No they did it at the following full coalition when they were all in a gang together, meeting just 10 days before the Mayoral inauguration. All the invites had been sent out to friends, family, guests, industry, schools, mayors from all the other councils and charities arranged. They choose a Conservative Mayor. The council had to write to everyone say they had decided I was not going to be the Mayor. The original gesture from the Coalition in 2003 to make me deputy Mayor then Mayor was said to me was for you, the Eston People. ( This is the Coalition that wants to represent the borough and the people today) Who went to these lengths to humiliate not just me and my family, but the people of Eston. The Conservative leader told me it was not a secret meeting I was just not invited! Well isn't that secret. It was the cruel way that they did it also. The then Liberal Leader told a member of my family at the AGM when they dumped me as the Mayor, she shouldn't count her chickens! And don't forget 7 of these people who were on the coalition cabinet then are still part of the present day hierachy coalition.
4. They also did not support Python Properties when they approached the council with plans and design for a complete new district centre for Eston, it was a marvellous proposal and would have really made Eston. But they turned it down! The most important thing to both them and the previous Labour Leader was the Trunk Road Development and new District Centre(which was planned from 2000. ( Vincent Smith can verify all the above to). I have the emails and also a copy of the plans.
We Eston Independents left the Coalition in 2005 and went in opposition:
At this time the opposition past Labour councillors for Teesville who have now been deselected and also lost their seats at the election. instigated an investigation into ERA at a full council meeting, at which the Coalition Cabinet member supported them by instructing the officers to carry out this! Spending months of officer time and tax payers money investigating a grass routes voluntary organisation. (I have all the paperwork and correspondence regarding this). Resulting in a council report on ERA, finding nothing wrong.
5. In 2007-11 I was re-elected again and Cllr. Dunning and his cabinet took over the council. This was achieved by 2 Independents from East Cleveland actually going over to Labour, who gave one the cabinet seat for Highways and Planning for 4 years and the other was made the Deputy Mayor. During her 4 years as the cabinet member for Highways and Planning. The council was carrying out consultations on the proposed Tesco development on the Trunk Road. As an Eston Councillor I asked the senior planning officer for a consultation in Eston on this. She replied saying she had asked the cabinet member who told here it was unnecessary to have one in Eston for the Eston People! (I have this correspondence).
6. During this time a company told ERA they were instructed to hold off on the Road Closures for our Christmas Night. To hold off in doing the foundations for our Nurse and Miner Feature in the hospital Grounds.
7. This Independent Cabinet member in the previous deselected Labour Leaders administration also stopped the steering group for the Residents of Lazenby who were working side by side with the council and and also for a the feasibility study for the proposals for support to help bring back the buses into Lazenby for the people. No more meeting were held with this steering group representing the Lazenby people. She then told a packed hall of Residents in the Lazenby Club that " I am going to get your a fleet of mini buses to take you were you want'. (This was in response to the problem of no buses in the Lazenby Village) This of course never materialised. (Ask the people of Lazenby or their LEG group who can verify all of this).
8. This Independent Cabinet Member in the 2007-11 Labour administration signed off the councils LDF, which became the councils local plan and then when she want into opposition against Labour supported the opposition vote to throw the councils local plan out. Which has now to "go back to the drawing board" and go through the procedure all over again. (Which could affect the councils attempt to stop any appeal for the people of Eston fight to stop another takeaway in Eston).
Ask yourselves how would you feel about all the above and also what would they do for Eston, given the history above (which we can evidence) and also some couldn't even afford me the courtesy of speaking to me when I was previously on the council.
SO PLEASE REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARE READING ANY LETTERS, WEBSITE, MEDIA STORIES - REGARDLESS I AM STILL TOTALLY INDEPENDENT AND ALWAYS WILL BE. FREE TO VOTE FOR OR AGAINST ANY SIDE OR ISSUE IN THE COUNCIL.
The Coastal View Newspaper article on the events leading upto and the council AGM
I WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY AN ARTICLE THAT APPEARED IN THE LAST EDITION OF THE EAST CLEVELAND COASTAL VIEW PAPER, (WHICH SOMEONE KINDLY SENT TO ME). The article carried statements from the leader of the conservative and liberal group, The article then went on to say that Councillor Higgins "declined" to comment. To put the record straight, to date of writing this, NO ONE FROM THIS PAPER HAS EVER CONTACTED ME OR ASKED ME TO MAKE A COMMENT. There statement about me was untrue!
ESTON RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION 2014 BRITAIN IN BLOOM ENTRY WINS SILVER GILT
AT THE AWARDS CEREMONY IN BRISTOL ON OCTOBER 16TH.
(READ FULL STORY IN THE DECEMBER 2014 ISSUE OF THE ESTON PHOENIX) HOW WE WERE LET DOWN ONCE AGAIN!
This is some of what the Britain in Bloom judges said: about our work and entry quote:
"Eston has a fabulous community base. Everyone in the town seems to be involved, including the major employer SSI and the local MP. All three schools are involved. There is an excellent programme of year round involvement supported by a very good range of social activities. There is good local media support, in particular the Evening Gazette and BBC Radio Tees. This is driven by Ann Higgins whose efforts to raise the profile of the community cannot be overstated. We often talk about "Pride" in Britain in Bloom but the community of Eston demonstrates true "Passion" for their town and its Bloom campaign".
On the downside, and it is documented in the Judges report given to us, is what let us down and lost us those precious points for the Gold Award: we quote below from the judges report: Weed growth was evidenced in several roadside channels and paved areas, ensure all hard surfaces are treated regularly. Litter and detritus was seen on several areas, grass verges and roadside channels throughout the tour. A consistent approach to maintenance in this regard is required. Areas for development - the shopping precinct - the entrance could be softened. Try to achieve a consistent standard of grass cutting and shrub maintenance on the open spaced areas which are maintained by the local authority and social housings provider, they should avoid the lollipop type of pruning that will have removed the flower potential of the shrubs. All the above is taken directly from the Britain in Bloom judges report of our entry. (90% OF THE ISSUES ABOVE THE FAULT OF THE COUNCIL).
ERA hope now for a better working relationship with the council, after all the changes in the May 7th Council Elections.
Our 2014 In Bloom work begins.
Northumbria in bloom spring judging took place.
April 4th 2014 view images --->
Northumbria in bloom summer judging took place.
July 10th 2014 view images --->
Britain in bloom national finals judging took place July 28th 2014 where the judges were presented with ERA Eston's entry.
The images show the ERA Eston route and the flowers submitted for judging at each stage of the competition and features some of the members of ERA undertaking essential planting and watering work.
Earning a Royal honour
"Work done by the community to improve Eston over the years has won a right royal seal of approval.
The Duke of York's Community Initiative Award has been given to ......"
Flower fans call on the community to support Bloom bid
"Green-fingered residents are calling on the entire community to help them impress judges in the national Britain in Bloom competition ......"
MASTERPLAN - residents to get a say on major regeneration vision
"The people of Eston will make clear they want Eston centre regenerating. They do not want to be forced down to Low Grange ......"
And many more news stories of local and national interest
• Garden Shop
• Christmas Cards - see the shop page
• Festive fun for families
• Eston's diamond jubilee
• Heritage gardens
• Mining heritage
• Community care skills......"
Ann 01642 452 329
Margaret 01642 460 743
Margaret 07847 427 305
Eston Residents Association
Come and visit us, we can arrange a tour around our heritage trail, or the opportunity of you hosting our heritage exhibition, contact us via email to discuss.
are you an authorised user, login here
This site and the content of all documents presented from the document archive is copyright © Eston Residents Association 2014
VISIT EVENTS: ESTON'S 25FT CHRISTMAS TREE & ESTON CHRISTMAS MARKET
THE COUNCIL & PLANNING APPLICATIONS
CLICK ON PHOENIX & THE READ THE LATEST EDITION OF THE ESTON PHOENIX